Note: Hi, associates! Just a a fast reminder – among the hyperlinks on this website are affiliate hyperlinks, and so I’ll earn a bit of money on qualifying orders. It doesn’t price you something additional, and is a pleasant manner to assist help this website! I additionally need to level out that I don’t promote merchandise I haven’t truly tried or merchandise that I don’t belief. 🙂
We’re on the eve of Valentine’s Day and I used to be craving one thing candy that I may additionally use as an excuse to bust out my heart-shaped silicon mildew to make use of for heart-shaped pats of buttery unfold. So, I channeled my internal Leslie Knope and determined to make some purple velvet-inspired vegan keto waffles! I actually love waffles as a result of they’re tremendous straightforward to make and actually scrumptious…and did I point out that they’re super-easy to make?
Traditionally, purple velvet cake was made utilizing dutch-process cocoa, which reacted with the acid within the cake from buttermilk, and turned purple. Sometimes beets had been used for coloration as nicely, and that is what we’re going to riff off of right here. I additionally actually like utilizing beets as a result of they’re wealthy in antioxidants and have been proven to be heart-protective in research. Yay! Beets additionally work properly, as the flavour is well-masked by chocolate, which we’re additionally utilizing.
Up subsequent in our ingredient lineup is lupin flour. I haven’t used lupin flour an excessive amount of up to now as a result of it at all times appeared to expensive to me. But, I’ve began utilizing it much more just lately as a result of I simply actually prefer it, and it’s well worth the worth. Lupins are low in problematic lectins, excessive in protein (together with the elusive amino acid lysine), and really low in carbs. The flour on this recipe is simply 1g of web carbs, however packs 12g of protein. Crazy! Using lupin flour additionally implies that this vegan keto waffle recipe is just not solely gluten-free, but additionally coconut-free, soy-free and usually nut-free. Good information for these of us with allergy symptoms!
Anyway, I actually hope you’re keen on this recipe! If you make it, I’d like to see on social media, so be at liberty to tag @meatfreeketo on instagram or twitter (or simply depart a remark!). One of my favourite components of developing with these recipes (other than the consuming, in fact) is seeing what you guys make and the enjoyable twists you placed on the unique.
Notes on Making Vegan Keto Red Velvet Waffles (gluten-free, coconut-free, soy-free)
- Real discuss – these aren’t tremendous purple, however you may treatment this with an extra tsp of beet powder or your favourite meals dye!
- If you possibly can’t observe down cacao butter (or don’t need to), you possibly can substitute it for two tbsp of vegan cream cheese or coconut manna.
- The granulated sweetener I exploit is from Lakanto (and you may save 20% with the code MEATFREEKETO on their web site), however you should use any granulated sweetener, or omit it in case you like issues on the less-sweet aspect! They additionally make my absolute favourite sugar-free syrup of all time. Highly advocate it.
- I are likely to eat this entire factor on one sitting, as a result of it’s about 1/four of my day by day web carb consumption for the entire thing, nevertheless it’s additionally filling sufficient to solely eat half of directly.
- I usually prime this with the aforementioned Lakanto sugar-free syrup and a vegan buttery unfold or some coconut cream! I additionally prefer to toss on some frozen raspberries, which is what the purple issues within the image are.
- Unfortunately, you possibly can’t actually use flax right here rather than the psyllium. While it should maintain the dough collectively, it does crumble once you attempt to take it out of the waffle maker. You may make pancakes out of this recipe, utilizing a tbsp of floor flax as an alternative of the psyllium although!
- As talked about above, you can also make pancakes out of this recipe in case you don’t have a waffle maker!
- While I attempt to offer correct dietary info, totally different manufacturers and styles of components could have differing nutrient values, so your calculations might fluctuate.
Vegan Keto Red Velvet Waffles (gluten-free, coconut-free, soy-free)
These purple velvet-inspired vegan keto waffles are scrumptious and simple to make. Plus, they’re gluten-free, coconut-free and soy-free!
- 1 small cooked & peeled beet (about 2oz/56g)
- 1.5 tbsp melted cacao butter OR 2 tbsp vegan cream cheese
- 1 tbsp granulated sweetener (non-compulsory, in case you like issues on the sweeter aspect)
- 1/four cup (60ml) nondairy milk of alternative
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/four cup (30g) lupin flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp entire psyllium husks (or 1 tsp psyllium husk powder)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- Preheat your waffle maker, based on the producer’s directions and frivolously grease along with your most well-liked oil.
- In a meals processor, mix the beet, cacao butter, nondairy milk & apple cider vinegar. Process till comparatively clean (the cacao butter might begin to solidify once more a bit, however you principally simply need the big chunks.
- In a separate bowl, whisk collectively the remaining components till totally mixed.
- Add the dry components to the meals course of and pulse till a homogeneous dough kinds.
- Let the dough sit for about 5 minutes, till the psyllium gels up and the dough stiffens.
- Make waffles based on your waffle maker directions. I exploit a touch waffle maker (not the mini one) and this recipe makes one large waffle in that, that I cut up into items. I additionally normally wait till the little gentle goes off after which unplug the waffle maker and open it up, to let the waffle settle down for a minute earlier than gently eradicating it from the maker. This permits the psyllium and sweetener to arrange a bit and prevents crumbling!
While this recipe is written to be coconut-free, you possibly can exchange the lupin flour with coconut flour if want be!