You would by no means guess that the key ingredient of this keto apple crisp is Jicima! It’s candy, tender, and generously topped with a cinnamon spiced crumble.
Are Apples Keto?
Sadly the crunchy and refreshing fruit all of us grew up loving shouldn’t be keto. Per 100 gram serving of apples there are 14 carbs and 12 internet carbs. Rather than use a chayote squash or zucchini we determined to convey out the massive weapons, jicima. This vegetable has the identical texture as apples, however with out the sweetness. It makes it simple to create a scrumptious and genuine keto apple crisp.
Say goodbye to apple pie and your finest apple dessert. Instead, get pleasure from this scrumptious keto apple dessert crumble that takes lower than 30 minutes to prep and tastes like the actual deal. With this scrumptious of a dessert it’s protected to say bye bye Miss American Apple Pie.
FREE PRINTABLE: Keto Food List
Join 150,000 others to get a FREE keto meals checklist and new recipes each week!
Is Jicima Keto?
Jicima is the right low carb apple filling substitute. Per 100 grams of jicima there are solely 9 carbs and 5 grams of fiber (four internet carbs)(1). An additional advantage to having all that fiber is simply how a lot your intestine will thanks. The good intestine micro organism feeds on fiber which helps to enhance total digestion(2).
Does Jicima Taste Like Apples?
Jicima is crisp and crunchy like apples, which means when cooked the cubes will likely be tender and tender. The taste can be very impartial nearly like an unsweetened apple. It will give the identical look and texture as chopped apples, however taste clever has the flexibility to be candy or savory.
How to Cut & Peel Jicima
Jicima is usually a bit tough to chop when you’ve got by no means ready it earlier than. While it might be tempting, don’t use a vegetable peeler. That will likely be extra harmful as a result of jicima usually has additional wax from the grocery retailer that makes the peel even thicker. Instead, lower the highest and backside of the jicima to make a flat floor. Then fastidiously use a pointy knife on a chopping board to thinly slice the peel off.
To lower the apple portion, fastidiously slice the jicima into matchstick shapes after which dice them. Each dice ought to be a couple of half to full inch.
How to Sweeten Keto Apple Crisp
As acknowledged above jicima is a crunchy and refreshing vegetable making it the right apple substitute. However, in contrast to an apple jicima shouldn’t be candy. That is why we use a mix of stevia and erythritol to make the right candy keto apple crisp. Personally we desire a mix of the 2 sweeteners, as a result of we discover it creates one of the best stability of pure sweetness in keto treats. You can all the time use a unique sweetener that you’ve got readily available in case you desire. Some different keto sweetener choices embody:
- Allulose– Allulose is a more moderen keto pleasant sweetener that’s usually discovered in lots of retailer purchased keto cereals. It has zero internet carbs and is totally sugar free. The better part is that quite than being a sugar alcohol, it’s a pure sweetener.
- Monk Fruit– Monk fruit is one other sweetener extract much like stevia. Monk fruit is all pure and sometimes costlier than stevia, therefore why it’s usually present in a powder bulked by erythritol. If you need plain monk fruit be sure to purchase the zero calorie liquid sweetener, after which sub it for the liquid stevia on this recipe.
- Coconut Sugar– Coconut sugar is NOT keto. However, if you wish to make this low carb apple crisp paleo; coconut sugar would be the technique to go.
Whichever sweetener you determine to make use of for this recipe is okay, simply be sure to test that you’ve got the correct ratios! Some extracts are much more concentrated than the granular varieties, and would require measurement modifications.
What Is Xanthan Gum?
Xanthan gum is a keto pleasant gluten free thickener. Unlike cornstarch, xanthan gum works properly in very small quantities. For the complete recipe you solely want half teaspoon for the apple filling. This will assist to gel up the jicima water in your baking dish and make a extra jammy keto apple crisp. Xanthan gum has simply 1 gram of internet carbs per half teaspoon making it the right cornstarch substitution.
Can I Make Low Carb Apple Crisp Ahead of Time?
Planning to make this recipe for a crowd and need to know if you can also make it forward of time? You actually can! There are a couple of methods you may go about making this recipe forward of time.
- Make and Store within the Fridge– Rather than pre- baking it, merely put all of the components collectively and retailer within the fridge till you’re able to bake. We usually do that after we need to prep the dish within the morning after which bake it whereas we’re having dinner. It finishes baking whereas we eat so we are able to go proper to this heat keto apple crisp recipe after dinner.
- Bake and Reheat– If you’d quite make the recipe a day upfront you may as well pre- bake it. Allow it to chill after which retailer within the fridge. When able to eat: Preheat your oven to 350 and bake till the middle is heat and the apple crumble topping is crisp.
The greatest takeaway from that is that you do not need to microwave an apple crisp recipe. Reheating low carb apple crisp within the microwave will make a soggy; not so crunchy apple crisp topping.
How to Make Keto Apple Crisp
This keto apple crisp is straightforward and straightforward to make. The hardest half is simply ready for it to prepare dinner! Get your keto vanilla ice cream and spoons out, as a result of this baking dish is certain to be empty in minutes.
The components for this apple crisp recipe are damaged into two classes: The apple Crumble and the apple Filling.
For the apple crisp portion you will want a base of almond flour instead of typical white flour. You can even need nuts for crunch, we selected uncooked chopped pecans. For sweetness we used granular erythritol (we’ve used swerve model earlier than too) and liquid stevia, however you may as well use different sweeteners like those advised above. Finally you will want cinnamon, salt, and chilly butter that has been cubed for simple mixing. It ought to be chilly quite than melted butter as a result of it should permit the almond flour to chunk up and kind these hearty apple crisp clusters.
The “Apple” Base
For the “apple” base you will want chopped jicima (see notes for preparation above), water, and xanthan gum. To taste the bottom we’ll add erythritol, stevia, lemon juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Don’t skip on the lemon juice as a result of it provides a pleasant refreshing distinction to the candy cinnamon -y base.
Making Keto Apple Crisp
This keto apple crisp recipe is the right mock apple crumble for many who need a fall dessert that matches their keto weight-reduction plan. It’s coconut flour free, doesn’t require any messy melted butter, and tastes even higher topped with a dollop of whipped cream.
To make this keto crumble topping with minimal prep time, start by whisking collectively the almond flour, pecans, erythritol, stevia, cinnamon and salt. Once the topping is whisked collectively add within the butter, vanilla extract, and stevia. Use two knifes or a pastry cutter to include the butter into the dry topping. It ought to be coarse and crumbly, nearly sand like. Set the topping apart as a result of it will likely be used shortly.
The “Apple” Base
To make your keto apple crisp base start by preheating the oven to 400F. Next in a bowl combine collectively the xanthan gum and water. Whisk properly to insure there are not any clumps of powder. In a separate bigger bowl mix the jicima, erythritol, stevia, lemon juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Toss the jicima within the sweetener and spices, then add the water/ xanthan gum combination and stir properly.
Add the entire jicima right into a 10-inch forged iron skillet or eight×eight baking dish.
Sprinkle the crumble combination evenly on high. To keep away from burning your keto apple crisp topping, cowl it tightly with foil and bake 25 to 30 minutes. After 30 minutes is up, take away the foil and prepare dinner an extra 5-10 minutes. It ought to be effervescent a bit, and the crumble ought to have browned.
Allow to chill 5-10 minutes earlier than serving. Top the apple crisp with sugar free vanilla ice cream.
Storing and Reheating Keto Apple Crisp
To retailer any leftover keto apple crisp recipe, place the remainders in an hermetic container. Make positive it goes within the fridge to keep away from going unhealthy. In order to reheat low carb apple crisp it would be best to warmth the oven to 350F and place all leftovers in a baking dish to re- crisp.
Tips for Making Low Carb Apple Crisp
- Cover if the Crumble is Burning– It’s frequent when making keto desserts which have almond flour or nuts to burn. This is as a result of the crumble topping will usually brown and bake below direct warmth quicker than the middle. To keep away from a burnt crisp topping, cowl the forged iron with aluminum foil and permit the middle to prepare dinner the remainder of the best way.
- Don’t Over Bake– Just like all conventional apple crisp you don’t need to over bake the middle. An apple crisp recipe will shortly go to mush if over baked, and so will our keto jicima crisp recipe.
- Add More Nuts and Seeds– Chopped nuts and seeds add a beautiful additional crunch to the apple crumble. Try nuts like walnuts, almonds, and even sunflower seeds for a bit extra crunch.
More Comforting Keto Desserts
Making an apple crisp keto is straightforward as soon as you understand how. Don’t skip out on any extra of your favourite comforting keto desserts. Some of our favorites are:
- Keto Cinnamon Rolls– We love the swerve brown sugar substitute for the within of those cinnamon rolls. They are candy, gooey, and filled with icing.
- Keto Banana Bread– Warm keto banana bread is the right breakfast or mid day choose me up with a pat of butter. Make a loaf or two and retailer to get pleasure from all week.
- Deep Fried Keto Donuts– The choices are countless for keto donuts. If you’ve tried this recipe you recognize it tastes good with something from brown sugar and cinnamon, to peanut butter and jelly!
These are only a few of our favourite keto consolation meals to get pleasure from on a chilly evening or wet day. For much more wholesome keto desserts try the dessert part of our web site.
Keto Apple Crisp
This dessert takes simply over 10 minutes to whip up and 30 minutes to bake. It’s the right fall dessert with a hefty serving dimension of simply 5 internet carbs and fewer than 200 energy. The diet data of desserts don’t get significantly better than that! Our keto apple crisp is one of the best of one of the best. It skips conventional apples or mushy zucchini to provide the most genuine apple taste with out the carbs. Try this mock apple crisp and tell us what you assume within the feedback beneath.
Keto Apple Crisp
A candy cinnamon spiced “apple” crisp baked to perfection. Perfect for topping with keto ice cream!
Calories per serving 172kcal
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
In a big bowl, whisk collectively almond flour, pecans, erythritol, stevia, cinnamon and salt. Next add within the butter chunks, stevia, and vanilla.
Use a pastry cutter or two knives to mix in till the combination resembles coarse crumbs. Set apart.
The “Apple” Base
Preheat oven to 400F. In a small bowl, mix water and xanthan gum, whisking till mixed.
In a separate massive bowl, mix jicama, erythritol, stevia, lemon juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg, tossing to coat. Add water/xanthan combination and stir properly.
Spread combination in a 10-inch forged iron skillet or eight×eight casserole dish. Sprinkle the crumble combination evenly on high. Cover tightly with foil and bake 25 to 30 minutes.
Remove foil and prepare dinner an extra 5-10 minutes, or till combination is effervescent and crumble is browned.
Keto Apple Crisp
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 126
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 4g20%
Trans Fat 1g
Vitamin A 161IUthree%
Vitamin C 18mg22%
* Percent Daily Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie weight-reduction plan.