Note: Hi, pals! Just a a fast reminder – a number of the hyperlinks on this website are affiliate hyperlinks, and so I’ll earn a bit money on qualifying orders. It doesn’t value you something additional, and is a pleasant manner to assist assist this website! I additionally need to level out that I don’t promote merchandise I haven’t truly tried or merchandise that I don’t belief. 🙂
If there’s one factor I can assure once I submit a recipe, it’s that folks will ask about substitutions. I completely perceive, as somebody with a good quantity of restrictions, however irrespective of what number of completely different substitutions I attempt to embrace within the notes, somebody at all times needs one thing else. Years in the past, I posted a recipe for vegan keto bagels that grew to become immensely widespread and the commonest query I get from folks is “can I substitute anything for the flax?” So, I’ve lastly gotten round to this, and am excited to current my flax-free vegan keto bagels.
Typically, folks will ask if they will sub chia seeds for the flax, as this often a secure substitute. I attempted this, many occasions, and it actually didn’t work out. Similarly, coconut flour was a bust. Plus, I understand how polarizing coconut could be, and I really feel like each time I submit a recipe for one thing with coconut flour, I’ve to brace myself for the slew of feedback about how a lot folks hate coconut. 😀
Anyway, the flour substitute that appeared to work greatest simply so occurred to be one which I’ve actually gotten into these days: lupin flour! Lupins (or lupini) are a kind of bean, commonest within the Mediterranean, and one which has actually taken off, due to ketoers. It’s tremendous low in carbs and excessive in protein. Usually, I purchase lupini beans brined in jars from both the Kosher or Mediterranean meals part of my native grocery retailer, however I’ve additionally seen them within the Latin American meals part. The flour is a special story, although, and I’ve solely been capable of finding it on-line.
A fast be aware – these don’t style precisely like bagels. For starters, they don’t seem to be boiled earlier than being baked. However, they’re nonetheless fairly darn scrumptious and make an exquisite base for vegan cream cheese or a buttery unfold. I additionally like to make use of them to make tiny bagel pizzas with them.
Tips on Making Flax-Free Vegan Keto Bagels (gluten-free-, soy-free, nut-free, coconut-free)
- If you don’t have a meals scale, I like to recommend measuring the flour and psyllium like this – scoop the psyllium/flour a bit bit too full after which gently shake the measuring cup over the bag till the measuring cup flattens out. Scooping the flour and urgent it to the facet of the bag to flatten it is going to compress the flour, and you’ll have an excessive amount of. Too a lot lupin flour simply makes issues a bit dry, so not an enormous deal, however value noting.
- You can not substitute the psyllium for something, sadly. You can use both psyllium husk, or psyllium powder (in equal quantities by weight), simply make sure you whisk all of the dry substances collectively, as psyllium powder tends to clump up simply.
- I wish to high these with every little thing bagel mix. It’s not a mandatory step, however an amazing one.
- These are best to de-pan with a silicone bagel mildew, however for those who don’t have a silicone one, you possibly can simply grease the pan with coconut oil (or no matter you’ve gotten on-hand) earlier than filling it.
- While I attempt to supply correct dietary data, completely different manufacturers and types of substances may have differing macros, so your calculations might fluctuate!
Flax-Free Vegan Keto Bagels (gluten-free-, soy-free, nut-free, coconut-free)
These easy-to-make vegan keto bagels are allergen-friendly and are flax-free, coconut-free, soy-free, nut-free and gluten-free! They’re good for toasting up with some buttery unfold or making into little bagel pizzas.
- half of cup, plus 2 tbsp (75g) lupin flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt (add as much as 1 tsp if utilizing unsalted tahini)
- 1/four cup (20g) entire psyllium husks
- 1 cup (240ml) water
- half of cup (120g) tahini
- optionally available every little thing bagel mix or sesame seeds for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C). If utilizing a steel bagel tin, flippantly grease every properly with oil and if utilizing a silicone bagel pan, no prep is important.
- To a mixing bowl, whisk collectively lupin flour, psyllium husk, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine collectively water and tahini till totally mixed.
- Stir the dry substances into the moist, after which stir to kind the dough/batter. It’s going to appear like soup at first, however that is regular! It will thicken up in about 5 minutes, because the lupin flour and kind a thick batter. It will not pour, however you possibly can scoop it.
- Scoop into the wells of your bagel pan, and clean out a bit. These will rise within the oven and alter form barely, so this does not need to be good.
- Now’s the time so as to add that bagel mix!
- Bake for round 30-35 minutes, till golden brown. Let cool utterly after which take away from the pan. I discover that overlaying the bagels within the pan with a big lid in order that they steam whereas they cool helps them to remain softer on the skin.
- To get pleasure from, minimize in half and toast such as you would a standard bagel. Then high as desired!
I discovered these turned out the very best with a silicone bagel pan, however for those who solely have a daily one, you possibly can simply grease it with a bit oil earlier than placing the batter in!